Friday, July 26, 2013

An Introduction to an Artist-Writer

Hi everyone! I'm Nicole Hubbard, an author and artist.



I have been doing both since I was very young, my first memories of drawing being when I was four. Since I was reading by that age as well, my story-writing adventures started soon after. I have always loved adventure and fantasy stories, such as The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien and the Redwall by Brian Jacques. More recently, I've also gotten into manga and anime. So far, I think my favorites in that world have to be Fullmetal Alchemist and Code Geass.




Fullmetal Alchemist - Edward Elric with a really cheeky grin XD. Ed is a really fun character. In Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, I also like Lin a lot too. He's the kind of character that is hard not to like, and he knows how to get his way, usually.



Code Geass - Lelouch Lamperouge, probably after just having used his Geass on someone. In my opinion, he is a fascinating character with a quick, strategic brain that keeps me trying to figure out what he's planning.

Anyway, I write fantasy myself, and I love doing art, as I said. I have a lot of training in fine art: people, dragons, animals, and mythical creatures mostly, though I have done scenery when I have to.



My original drawing of Raefon, the main dragon character in my book series, North Country. I actually had to draw him on several large sheets of paper, as the drawing just kept getting bigger and bigger. This took me 3 months to complete, and I had to scan it in pieces and clean it up a bit.

Lately, I've been getting into digital art more, as well as doing my own cartoons, illustrations, and book designs for my stories. So my style has really expanded a lot since I first started out.



This is an image I've done recently from my story, DA Shadow Phantom, though it will come later in the story. For now, I'll just say that the character here is the main character, Dalan Aiden Raymer, and that glowing tattoo-looking mark on his back is a visual sign of his special abilities and even what he is in the first place. He thinks he has a curse but will hopefully learn differently.

A detailed close-up of the glowing mark on Dalan's back, the symbol of what he thinks to begin with is his curse. This is an example of the digital art I have been playing with. I do a lot of it in Photoshop by hand, though occasionally I will also use source textures that I add into the backgrounds where appropriate. I'm just starting to get ebooks out to where more viewers can enjoy them. Two projects I am currently working on include North Country: The Riders of Redrog, and another series I've been calling DA Shadow Phantom. Both of them are fantasy stories, and I might later turn DA Shadow Phantom into a comic or graphic novel. I've already been designing the characters.



North Country, Book One: The Riders of Redrog - This is the front cover I designed when I put the book up for sale as an ebook on Smashwords.com. To read a free sample or purchase the book, click here: . You can download a free sample in any of the ebook formats listed at the bottom of the page.

I am still working on the front cover of DA Shadow Phantom, Book One. Once that's done, as well as the proper formatting for ebook conversion, I will put that up as well.



Happy reading!



FOR MORE ARTWORK AND STORY-RELATED STUFF, OR IF YOU JUST WANT TO GET IN TOUCH WITH ME AND SEE WHAT I'M UP TO, VISIT ME AT THESE WEBSITES:



Facebook profile:



Facebook DA Shadow Phantom:

Facebook North Country Series:



Deviant Art profile:

Tumblr profile:
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment