Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The 12 Days of Christmas

I'll be the first to admit that the real reason I enjoy music from anime as much as I do is mostly because of it's use in anime. That's not a bad thing in my book. Realistically speaking, it's hard far an average person to develop a connection with music spoken in a completely foreign language. I'd love to actually be able to understand all the anime songs I listen to, beyond just the Engrish ones; but, if 3 years of high school Spanish taught me anything, it's that I'm very bad at learning second languages.



On rare occasions a spontaneous connection is possible. It might happen once or twice in an anime season (though not for this Fall 2013 season); I fall in love with a song the very first time I hear it, long before it becomes intertwined with the anime itself.




When the time came to start voting for songs during the Animusic Tournament I decided I'd give each song a good and thorough listening too before voting. It was the least I could do for all the songs that I'd never heard before and would be battling with such a big handicap.



Little did I expect to happen what happened.



Early in the first round, I think it was the Dio bracket, I queued up the totally unfamiliar song titled "" for it's listen and by the midway point I was struck dumb in amazement. I'd discovered a truly amazing song. I've seen no part of the Gundam franchise, had little inclination to do so before, now though, I'm strongly tempted to watch the series it comes from, Turn A Gundam. (Though with it being Gundam, I probably have to have watched a bunch of other series for this one to make sense .)



It's this moment that I'm picking for today.



The musical discovers didn't end there, however. "Tsuki no Mayu" pushed me to get the offline playlist of all 256 songs and when I did so, I found other great songs. Here's a list of them:



* 11th seed - anime: Bokurano - title: Uninstall

* 50th seed - anime: Macross Frontier The Wings of Goodbye - title: Sayonara no Tsubasa ~ the end of triangle~

* 58th seed - anime: Macross Frontier - title: Lion

* 74th seed - anime: Berserk - title: Forces

* 106th seed - anime: Gin-iro no Kami no Agito - title: Ai no Melody



The other thing I discovered were several songs that I'd been exposed to previously, while watching the anime, that hadn't left much of an impression on me but were now, suddenly, songs I really liked. These included:



* 44th seed - anime: Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - title: Again

* 53rd seed - anime: Fullmetal Alchemist - title: Brothers

* 54th seed - anime: The World God Only Knows - title: God only knows

* 76th seed - anime: Guilty Crown - title: My Dearest

* 108th seed - anime: Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - title: Period



Yes, I'm as puzzled as you as to why there were 3 songs from the Fullmetal Alchemist franchise on this list.



I could continue talking about the Animusic Tournament - I've been working on another stats post - but I'll stop here because I don't want to stray too far today.



So, to pick up from yesterday:



On the third day of Christmas, my true love gave to me: discovering gems during the Animusic Tournament.

On the of Christmas, my true love gave to me: the Time of Eve Kickstarter.

On the of Christmas, my true love gave to me: that publicity picture.



Tune in tomorrow to see what's next.
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment