Saturday, November 2, 2013

First Impressions: Gundam Build Fighters, Unbreakable Machine Doll

Mate, listen. Just because I'm an otaku pig who loves moe/ecchi pandering garbage doesn't mean that I think that all efforts at pandering are equal. I look upon your feeble attempts to satisfy my shallow kinks and I laugh. And for the record, your character design sucks.



I'll start this first impressions post with UNBREAKABLE MACHINE DOLL. I'd been looking forward to this show because it seemed like it would have some interesting world-building concepts. The cute girl on the promotional art had nothing to do with it, naturally. As it turned out, she was annoying, and almost every single aspect of this premiere was bland and uninteresting.




Let's go back to what I was saying about not all attempts at pandering being equal. On paper, I kind of get the appeal of having a human doll who does everything you say and wants to jump your bones at every opportunity. Actually, I don't get the appeal of that at all, but for the sake of the argument, let's just say I do. But I don't feel as if the creators had any affection for her character whatsoever.



Urgh, seriously? And she even says that to a little kid. What a stupid jealous bitch.



The guy is a total asswipe as well. I don't think he smiled once in this entire opening episode. And he only seems to think of himself and his angsty protagonist problems.



Probably the part of the episode that sticks with me the most was when the haughty blonde chick challenges the protag and he's supposed to be an utter loser and yet he manages to fight her on equal ground and save her through gobbledygook magic. Didn't Infinite Stratos open with that exact same plot device?



I don't know if anyone else feels this too, but I think the best kinds of series in this genre are the ones where you can sense the creators were smiling as they worked on it. No matter how tired the cliches are, the sense of earnestness leaps off the screen. I had pegged this series as being one of that kind, since the light novel is well-regarded, but alas, it had this stuck-up, uptight feeling to it throughout, much like the protagonist. Perhaps this is the result of a lazy adaptation? The animation was rather poor, especially the CG.



This is all a shame because the setting actually does show some sparks of imagination. It seems to be set in a fantasy world based on the late nineteenth / early twentieth century and reminds me of Fullmetal Alchemist. Any action scene set on a train is an immediate plus in my book. The puppet system also seems like it's well thought out and rather neat from what I've seen so far. No doubt it'll be elaborated on in further episodes to come.



Not sure if I want to stick around and see all that, though. Am most likely dropping this and reading the novel instead. But the utter soullessness of the characters just doesn't sit right with me either way.Next up, that other "pandering" series, except for kids and toy robot fans: GUNDAM BUILD FIGHTERS.



I can't say I'm really all that against making a kiddy show out of Gundam, since the entire franchise has always been a glorified toy commercial. Yes, it did manage to spin complex war stories, especially in the '70s and '80s, but if there's one thing to be said about Gundam as a franchise, it's how adept it is at changing and adapting with the times. The same can't be said for the fans, though, and from what I've seen, reactions to this series from those who consider themselves Gundam "purists" have ranged from outrage to tired apathy. It must be a sad feeling, seeing a franchise you once loved go out of its way to exclude you.



Well, perhaps that's a little unfair to say, because this first episode of Build Fighters actually did sneak in a lot of references here and there that only older Gundam fans would notice. Most likely, this is the kind of series that Gundam's original audience would now be watching alongside their children. Now that actually sounds like fun!



I saw what you did there, Gundam



As for the "kiddy" part of the premiere, I'd have to say that it actually did quite well for itself for the most part. I'm not quite sure how the battles are even meant to work, but the idea of getting your toy robots to fight in a virtual battlefield strikes my inner kid self as SUPER FUCKING AWESOME. The fact remains that the setting is still ridiculous and poorly explained, however.



There's also an underlying "wish fulfillment" theme being developed in the script, which to be frank I don't approve of. In the climax of the episode, we see the main character make a wish and this mysterious kid turns up and fights his battles for him. What is that meant to be telling the kids who watch this?



On top of that, the rival kid is annoying, and not just in the mildly irritating way. Schneider wrote a very pointed and insightful post aboutand how it's symptomatic of many Gundam fans' attitudes. That's the elephant in the room when it comes to an anime like this, and I suppose if I have to be honest, even if there were no butthurt fans marginalising any potential audience for this, I don't think Build Fighters succeeds well enough on its own terms to garner much of a following anyway. But who knows.



Personally, I'll be giving this series the three episode test at least, because hey, I think the main character's a sweet kid and I like his friendship with Reiji. That's enough to keep me entertained for now. I know it's not a series for everyone, but a little nostalgia now and then doesn't hurt, does it?
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment