Wednesday, August 28, 2013

It's just like meth

but I recommend trying it at least once.



Well I'm in over my head again. Anime and kpop is a slippery slope for me. I used to watch Miyazaki, Naruto, Death Note, Gurren Lagann, and others. I listened to all the K and J pop I could get my hands on, but I took a break. I watched the first episodes of Darker than Black, Trigun, and Cowboy Bebop and just didn't get my usual high. I've spent over a year without indulging in any Asian pop cultures. Then I spent an hour in Barnes n Nobel and read the first Manga of Tiger and Bunny and was in again. The next day I watched all of FLCL in one go. I have Trigun and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood queued up next. I've been listening to SNSD, 4NE1, and T-ARA all day. There is something uniquely special about other cultures. I know some people love French cooking and film or Indian dress and religion. For me it's always been South Korea and Japan. There is a certain je ne sais quoi (which literally means "I don't know what") to Anime that makes it worth checking into. Americans unfamiliar with it often mistakenly think of it as a genre. Anime can be as dark or tweeny or romantic or action-packed as any live action movie in America. It's a medium we think of as being for children, but there is plenty of R and X rated Anime out there. Brutal torture, intense romance, and sinking ennui are all themes I've seen that would be too mature for children. Many series also follow a short manga(comic book) version that came first and can be as short as six 20 minute episodes. I recommend looking into it depending on your taste. I'll list some here.




* Complex Mystery Thriller - Death Note

* Action Sci-Fi - Gurren Lagann

* 30 s New York Dark Fantasy - Baccano! (watch in English for the accents)

* Action Ninja Comedy - Naruto (Then Naruto Shippuden for the darker sequel series)

* Kids' Movie with amazing Japanese Folklore Fantasy - Spirited Away

* Kids' Movie with wizards and a secret castle - Howl's Moving Castle

* Wacky Thriller Action Love Alien Vespa Tumors Becoming Giant Robots - FLCL (Fooly Cooly)



Here's some Kpop. All four will take 15 minutes to watch in full. Just try it. If you want. Please.Always be consuming or creating art,



Erik
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment