but I recommend trying it at least once.
Well I'm in over my head again. Anime and kpop is a slippery slope for me. I used to watch Miyazaki, Naruto, Death Note, Gurren Lagann, and others. I listened to all the K and J pop I could get my hands on, but I took a break. I watched the first episodes of Darker than Black, Trigun, and Cowboy Bebop and just didn't get my usual high. I've spent over a year without indulging in any Asian pop cultures. Then I spent an hour in Barnes n Nobel and read the first Manga of Tiger and Bunny and was in again. The next day I watched all of FLCL in one go. I have Trigun and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood queued up next. I've been listening to SNSD, 4NE1, and T-ARA all day. There is something uniquely special about other cultures. I know some people love French cooking and film or Indian dress and religion. For me it's always been South Korea and Japan. There is a certain je ne sais quoi (which literally means "I don't know what") to Anime that makes it worth checking into. Americans unfamiliar with it often mistakenly think of it as a genre. Anime can be as dark or tweeny or romantic or action-packed as any live action movie in America. It's a medium we think of as being for children, but there is plenty of R and X rated Anime out there. Brutal torture, intense romance, and sinking ennui are all themes I've seen that would be too mature for children. Many series also follow a short manga(comic book) version that came first and can be as short as six 20 minute episodes. I recommend looking into it depending on your taste. I'll list some here.
* Complex Mystery Thriller - Death Note
* Action Sci-Fi - Gurren Lagann
* 30 s New York Dark Fantasy - Baccano! (watch in English for the accents)
* Action Ninja Comedy - Naruto (Then Naruto Shippuden for the darker sequel series)
* Kids' Movie with amazing Japanese Folklore Fantasy - Spirited Away
* Kids' Movie with wizards and a secret castle - Howl's Moving Castle
* Wacky Thriller Action Love Alien Vespa Tumors Becoming Giant Robots - FLCL (Fooly Cooly)
Here's some Kpop. All four will take 15 minutes to watch in full. Just try it. If you want. Please.Always be consuming or creating art,